Hobo Refit continues…

After the May sanding and fairing marathon I turned to applying a final coat of white AWLGRIP on the cabin, cockpit and deck.

image image image image

The paint looks incomplete on the deck because most of the areas we walk on will be coated with a light grey AWLGRIP mixed with non-skid.  That should happen in August.

On-going projects included the fabrication of a level transducer for the B&G Speed,Depth and Temp unit.

imageimage

Inside needed a matching wedge.                                               image.                                image

Picked up a nice new stainless exhaust thruhull

at Sailor’s Exchange here in St. Augustine…$20.

Next, new prop shaft and LEXAN for the dead lights.

 

Just sand it and paint it.

Somewhere around the late 90’s the hull was painted. Most of the paint still looked serviceable, but on several areas the AWLGRIP paint was peeling off in sheets. The boat was originally Canary Yellow.

image

I have heard that the key to a good and durable paint job is 98% prep.  So, prep I did. The black on the hull is cheap spray paint misted on as a guide coat to ensure all of the dings and imperfections get sanded level. The order was: guide coat; sand with 180 and 220 grit; spot prime the areas where the white has failed; guide coat AGAIN; sand with 320 grit; wipe and paint

imageOh, forgot to mention the scaffolding needed all the way around. The 7′ keel makes it a stretch for me even with the scaffolding.

 

image

 

 

image

 

So, all sanded and primed and sanded. Now, mask off the boot strip at the water line  and shoot the grey AWLGRIP there as well as the cove stripe (Arrow)

image image

40 minutes of AWLGRIP spraying and..

GOLLY!image

 

More Motor Machinations

With the PYTHON drive support elements in place, the next chore was fastening the engine down the correct distance from the drive bearing plate.

image

The PYTHON Drive system allows the engine to be out of alignment with the shaft-up to aprox 12 degrees-depending on shaft speed.

image

The new marine gear I fitted to the OM 636 Mercedes did not bring the output end low enough to meet the prop shaft without major surgery on the engine beds, the PYTHON solves this. An added bonus is the ease of engine mount placement. Just had to get them in the ballpark…

image

With  the drive unit bolted in place and the engine centered on the beds, I drilled, tapped and bolted.

image

The front mounts required wedges to level the mounts in relation to the motor mount. The aft mounts matched the engine bed angle so no wedges were required.

image

Here is the engine secured, the drive bearing is bolted in, the short CV shaft is missing…I will add a photo of the whole thing soon.

Still plugging away.

Since January slow halting progress has been made. The PYTHON drive installation went pretty well-it just took a bit of time just to sort out the how of it.

First the motor had to be moved forward- out of the way.

Push with a screw jack…

image              image

 

 

…and lift with a Spanish Windlass.

image

 

 

With the shaft pushed in and centered in the stern tube, I made a tick board to take off the exact shape of the engine bed precisely 90 degrees from the shaft.

 

image

 

 

The mounting base plate is 18mm Okume marine ply set in high density epoxy fillets and then glassed with 3 layers of Bi-axial cloth. This fixture absorbs forward as well as reverse thrust from the prop. The ply had to be cut to shape and re-assembled before installation.

 

Once the base was secure, I templated and shaped a 1/2 inch Aluminum plate to provide the mounting surface for the drive bearing.

imageimage

Next, the engine gets new mounts in the new position to fit the drive length.

Spring

March, and here are some images to catch up.  The BAVARIA 50 to be delivered from Mystic to Houston. December 27 to January 19.

image

 

 

 

 

 

 

Not going around Hatteras….image…so, ICW.

imageAlligator – Pungo Canal, racing Sunset.

image

Fast forward past the weather layover in Charleston, SC. Ignor the 6 days in Ft. Lauderdale repairing the furler and just cut to KEY WEST.

 

 

 

image Galveston Bay at Sunrise Jan 19…

Next the Python drive.IMG_1032

Taking a Bow(sprit)

For a change I joined Aaron Benbow on his project to replace the
Bowsprit on his FORMOSA 51 just down the road here in St. Augustine.
The original Mahogany sprit was in bad shape with major areas ofIMG_1030
deterioration around the fasteners. IMG_20141114_144907We drove almost all the way across Florida to pick up a 9″X9″X13′ Cypress blank for the new bowsprit. Yep, 13 feet long…weighing in at just about 300 pounds! The Scurvy Truck is feeling this load. That is Aaron’s dog Cherio up on top.

image

First thing is to attach the forestay to something heavy.
So, we moved a 20 KW Generator over under the bow
and used that to hold the mast up while everything
was unbolted and lowered to the ground.

IMG_20141114_152430image

Everything was going great until yours truly missed a bolt, OK, THE BOLT holding the old sprit. Once that was withdrawn, down it came.

Nice crane work by Eddie over at OAISIS.

IMG_20141114_161109IMG_20141114_164041

Now; Chainsaw, Chisel, Plane,Sandpaper…IMG_1039

Next, The PYTHON is here…in a box.IMG_1031